Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Medieval mystery kick

Well, I just wrote a rather lengthy entry and then managed to lose it all when I went to preview it. So I'll try to do a shorter version now because my tummy is screaming at me that it needs to be fed and I just don't think my brain can remember what all I wrote. But I've been wanting to keep a record of some of the books I've read and my feelings and thoughts about them, so thus this Quilts 'n Mysteries blog.

I've been on a medieval mystery kick lately, having read three books in the last two weeks set in various medieval time periods. Since I'm starving at the moment, I'll just list what I've read and then try to come back later and make a comment or two.

Several years ago, our church's choir went to England to sing the daily evensong and Sunday services at Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford. I went along with hubby for the trip since the director was smart enough not to let me sing in the choir. So while the choir was rehearsing each day, I got to spend a good deal of time roaming around that marvelous church, studying the windows, reading about it's history and just generally soaking it all in. I learned that St. Frideswide, patroness of Oxfordshire, had built a convent there way back in the 700s. You can read about her legend here: http://www.britannia.com/history/legend/berks/frideswide01.html.

Well, after returning to the states, I was browsing about at the library doing my usual book selection method that involves randomly pulling books off the shelves to see if they'd interest me. And I came across a set of books by Margaret Frazer set in guess where? St. Frideswide's convent in Oxford! I was so excited and quickly became addicted. The series is set at the small priory of St. Frideswide in the 15th century with Dame Frevisse (another version of the name Frideswide I recently discovered) as a nun who has a knack for solving mysteries. The latest book that I've read is The Apostate's Tale. Sister Cecely suddenly shows up at St. Frideswide's asking for safe haven for herself and her child. She had abandoned her vows nine years before to run off with a man she had met when he visited the priory. But does Sister Cecely really want to redeem herself or is there another motive? I enjoyed this book for the most part. I think Dame Frevisse, who I sometimes found to be annoying and judgmental, has mellowed a bit over the years and she didn't seem to me to be as harsh as she has been in the past, even though the return of a nun they all saw as an apostate drew out lots of anger and angst in this very closed society. It seems that for once, Dame Frevisse at least considered some of the reasons Sister Cecely had failed as a nun, although she was not fool enough to believe the former sister's tale. And well that she didn't, for Sister Cecely turned out not to be at all trustworthy, but was just as shallow and self-absorbed now as she had been as an immature young girl having to enter a priory against her personal wishes. More later. Supper calls and my tummy must answer.

Tomorrow's plan: work on the blocks for one of the memory quilts and read and drool over the new quilt book I bought today. I went to the quilt shop to get a king size batting for my sister-in-law's heart quilt and while there found a book I simply had to have. I've been collecting fabric to make a quilt for my sister and her husband, but just could not settle on a pattern. Sylvia had said she wanted a sampler quilt with stars and the book I found today, Star-Studded Quilts by Roxanne Carter, is just perfect. I'll need to buy more fabric, but that will be part of the fun. The blocks seem a little complicated, but with my trusty Thangles, I think I can handle it. To see some gorgeous quilts, visit Roxanne Carter's website: http://www.quiltingwithroxanne.com/. Sure hope my little quilt turns out even half as gorgeous as those on her website!

No comments: